Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mamma Mia, the movie


Having seen the musical on Broadway last year, I was really looking forward to the movie version; especially given the producers include the Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks couple.

Well, the initial disappointment came that Tom Hanks is not going to play Sam. At the same time, Pierce Brosnan isn't that far from what I had imaged. The main concern before seeing the film was that Maryl Streep is going to play Donna. To be frank, she's too old for the part (in my mind and based on the musical) and by a large margin.

When actually seeing the movie tonight, there's been some really disappointment. The casting of the 6 older actors and actresses are really not up to my expectation.

To start with Pierce Brosnan, he can't sing! Neither do Colin Firth and the other guy (Bill). They are good actors, but this is a musical. I really believe that it is their terrible singing ability that make the director to ask Sophie to sing "Thank you for the music" in the end; after the credits! And there is no "knowing you, knowing me!"

As for the ladies, Maryl can sing, to the point of a good Karaoke singer. She's nowhere near the other musical movie leading ladies over the past a few years (to name a few, Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta Jones, Reese Witherspoon).

To me, my dream cast would be:
Donna: Madonna
Tanya: Catherine Zeta Jones
Rosie: Queen Latifah

Sam: Richard Gere (although I really don't like him)
Harry: Billy Crystal
Bill: whoever

As for Sophie, I'd rather have Carey Anderson, who played in the Broadway show (and the National tour prior).

The best part of the movie is Maryl Streep singing "The winner takes all" to Sam (Pierce Brosnan) on the way to the wedding chapel. (This Youtube video seems like a promotion piece from Universal, instead of the scene from the movie.)



I dont wanna talk
About the things weve gone through
Though its hurting me
Now its history
Ive played all my cards
And thats what youve done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser standing small
Beside the victory
Thats her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking Id be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
Its simple and its plain
Why should I complain.

But tell me does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?
Somewhere deep inside
You must know I miss you
But what can I say
Rules must be obeyed

The judges will decide
The likes of me abide
Spectators of the show
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all

I dont wanna talk
If it makes you feel sad
And I understand
Youve come to shake my hand
I apologize
If it makes you feel bad
Seeing me so tense
No self-confidence
But you see
The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all......

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home