Thursday, October 05, 2006

LA Times' publisher and editor are leaving the newspaper

LA Times' publisher Jeffrey M. Johnson has been fired for not cutting enough staff and other cost. Times editor Dean Baquet resigned to protest the decision by its parent company, the Tribune.

I see both sides of the argument. There may be more than just these above mentioned differences between Johnson and the Tribune board. Although very successful in publishing Pulitzer winning articles, day-to-day profitability is what Tribune cares.

As much as I enjoying reading the times, which is my favorite, I have to admit that I am not a subscriber. Just buying the Sunday edition from time to time while shopping at the Albertson's. Most of the articles I got are from its web site while not (yet) bought anything from their ads sponsors. How do they make money off me?

May be eventually, we will also get use to paying for these services. I've been saying that for years, still not there yet.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home