Saturday, January 10, 2015

Prevent chrome always go to other country's google site

Google is the homepage for Chrome and most other browsers on my devices.  It's simple, use little data, fast to load, and useful. 

An annoying problem started to show up while traveling outside the country and afterwards.  While traveling, Google automatically detected, likely through IP, that I'm in a different country, so the Google page and associated search results are tailored to that country. Since I disabled some of the cookie functions (don't know what, need to figure out late), it still used the other country setting for some time even after I returned. This becomes very annoying especially the country specific search is usually useless to me. 

A quick Google search landed me to this site: "How to always use Google.com and stop Google from sending you to country specific website [Tip]".  Basically, you just type www.google.com/ncr in the home page setting (or just in the URL).  The "ncr" part means "no country redirect", according to the source. 

It worked great! 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home